PRAGMATIC CONSTRUCTIVISM AND ACTOR-REALITY CONSTRUCTION
SCUOLA SUPERIORE SANT’ANNA, PISA, ITALY
24th OCTOBER (starts at 12:00) – 26th OCTOBER 2018 (Ends at 13:00).
Department of Applied Mathematics and Computer Science - Technical University of Denmark (DTU)
About the conference
Research on pragmatic constructivism emphasizes the role of the actor – as a controller, manager, entrepreneur, agent, etc. – in the construction of organized reality. Through interaction, organizational actors seek to establish and construct certain intended processes and effects in the organization and hence to establish a joint “construct causality”. Four dimensions of reality – facts, possibilities, values, and communication – must be integrated in the actor-world relation if the construct is to form a successful basis for effective actions. During this eight conference, we intend to consolidate and further develop the pragmatic constructivist framework and the Actor-Reality Perspective on management and accounting.
This year’s conference welcomes submissions within a variety of topics such as management, accounting, performance management, cooperation, new public management, etc. The possible focus areas of the desired submissions include (but are not limited to) the following themes:
Possibilities, digitalization, numbers and actors
- With comprehensive digitalization, what are the important consequences for human actors and what are (should be) their roles?
- Artificial Intelligence and Big Data carry a significant risk that decision-making may be de-contextualised, but are people and local settings then irrelevant?
- How do actors interact with the post-truth culture, where the value of truth and trustworthy performance measurement has collapsed?
- How do actors identify and construct possibilities in a context of digitalisation; how do they evaluate whether possibilities are factual?
- How can organisational actors produce accounting information that has proactive and pragmatic truth?
Ethics, values and accountability
- What are values and their roles in a reality construction?
- To whose values are and should we be made accountable to?
- How can we develop more fair and valid instruments for making managers and employees accountable?
- What is the relationship between communication and values?
- How can we develop successful forms of co-authorship?
Pragmatic constructivist methodology
- What is relevant methodology of pragmatic constructivism?
- What is the relation between interventionist and actor-based research?
- How to make changes in language games?
This year’s conference invites three categories of contributions: i) Full papers, ii) Abstracts and iii) PhD-projects. The conference organizers will provide sufficient time for in-depth discussions and reflections among participants and hopefully further develop their thoughts and paper writings.
This year’s organizing committee consists of:
- Gudrun Baldvinsdottir, Göteborg University, Sweden
- Trond Bjørnenak, NHH, Norway
- Lino Cinquini, Scuola Superiore Sant' Anna, Pisa, Italy
- Lisa Jack, Portsmouth Business School
- Falconer Mitchell, Edinburgh University, UK
- Hanne Nørreklit, Aarhus University, Denmark
- Olivier Saulpic, ESCP, Paris, France
- Petri Suomala, Tampere University of Technology, Finland
- Andrea Tenucci, Scuola Superiore Sant' Anna, Pisa, Italy
Date: 24th October – 26th October 2018
Place: Scuola Superiore Sant‘ Anna, Pisa, Italy
Deadline for submissions: 20th August 2018
Deadline for registration: 10th September 2018
More information and registration: http://www.arcpisa2018.santannapisa.it